- ETH BoardStrategic management
- PolicyPosition papers & facts
- ETH DomainInstitutions
- AchievementsTasks & successes
- MediaInfo & publications
With its environmental policy, the ETH Domain commits itself to its responsibility towards the environment. The Swiss Federal Institutes of Technology ETH Zurich and EPFL, as well as the four research institutes PSI, WSL, Empa and Eawag set shared environment-related targets for themselves and provide their services in a manner that conserves resources and is compatible with the environment, while continually optimising their measures.
The environmental policy and the environmental targets are part of the ETH Domain’s environment management system. This enables the ETH Domain to obtain an integrative view of environment and energy issues and to meet the challenges of the Energy Strategy 2050 for the operation of the ETH Domain in an even better way. The ETH Domain’s environmental policy was drawn up by the ETH Board in cooperation with the Swiss Federal Institutes of Technology ETH Zurich and EPFL, as well as the four research institutes PSI, WSL, Empa and Eawag, and it takes its bearings from the overriding precepts of the Confederation.
The ETH Domain fully acknowledges its long-term responsibility towards the environment. In their teaching and research, the institutions of the ETH Domain seek to achieve a leading global position in this area. All aspects of their services are provided in as environmentally responsible and resource-saving a manner as possible, and they act as role models in the construction and operation of their facilities.
The following principles and fields of activity are defined in the ETH Domain's environmental management policy:
- The institutions of the ETH Domain meet all statutory requirements relating to the environment (legal compliance).
- The institutions of the ETH Domain measure their use of resources and optimise them in terms of environmental impact.
- The institutions of the ETH Domain construct and operate their buildings, infrastructure and green spaces in compliance with the principles of sustainable development.
- The institutions of the ETH Domain promote sustainable transport.
- The institutions of the ETH Domain take environmental concerns into account when choosing suppliers and partners.
- Employees and students of the institutions of the ETH Domain behave in a proactive and environmentally responsible manner.
- The institutions of the ETH Domain and the ETH Board prepare a full and transparent annual report on the measurements made, action taken and targets met. This report is made available to the public.
The ongoing development of environmental management in the ETH Domain is evaluated using the following indicators in particular:
- Efficient energy usage in infrastructure, teaching and research
- Reduction of direct and indirect emissions (quantitative and qualitative indicators)
- Efficient use of resources (water, paper, chemicals etc.)
- Advanced waste management with a high proportion of recycling